My photo
New Westminster, BC, Canada
Me in a nutshell: High school teacher who has recently developed a passion for running. I'm a dragonboat racer and coach. I've lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers and am working on losing the rest! Slowly but surely ...

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Day 5 - last day of camp


Day 5, already. Last day of the camp & it was POURING RAIN. I got to the marina for the morning practice and we almost couldn't go out because there was a thunder & lightning storm at the lake. Fortunately, it moved out relatively quickly and we were able to have our practice, only going out 30 min late. Our guest coach this morning was Andrea and although we'd planned to work on the transition, we spent most of the time on starts. It was a very productive practice and I think it really helped the boat. I don't know about everyone else, but I felt like it was the best session we had all week.

Valerie & I were both quite apprehensive about paddling in stroke seat so I know that we were both grateful for the extra work on starts & rate. At one point, Andrea came to paddle in stroke to help us slow the rate down and I was in awe of how she paddles. Andrea looks effortless when she paddles - and yet she moves that water with tremendous power and precision. I was able to see EXACTLY what she had been talking about in her coaching. I can't replicate it ... yet ... but I'll work on it!

After our water session, we had a Core class at the gym. I decided not to go, even though I knew it would give me a great workout and some exercises I could take home with me. At this point, I am sooooooo sore. My back is throbbing, my shoulders are aching, my butt is chafed, my arms are chafed, and the last thing I needed was to make my body hurt even more! The guys from my team were sweating when I got the gym an hour later and said that it was a great class.

Kamini gave a motivational talk after the Core class. I would have called it an inspirational talk, but regardless of what you want to call it, I thought it was tremendous. She is so humble about her incredible accomplishments. One of the images I'll take away from her talk and remember more than the details is rolling the pebble up of a long, steady incline. Kamini said that it's not about moving boulders over steep hills, but pushing that pebble up slow & steady. Sometimes it will roll back a bit, but as long as you keep your eye on the prize and think in small steps you'll get to your goal.

Kamini's stories about making it to 2 Olympic games and about training alone in the cold winter waters of False Creek were inspiring. I left that talk wanting to step up and compete at a higher level. This caused a bit of inner turmoil for me since I've decided to focus on my running goals this year, letting dragonboat take a back seat. I don't regret this choice (I'm currently in the last half of a 10K clinic and start training for a Half Marathon this June) - but it tugged at my heartstrings and really made me think. I love this sport. I love the team work. I love the friends that I make, the community that surrounds me and the triumph of racing my best race. I know, though, that there is only so much time in a day and I can't do it all.

After a "downer" lunch (I was still feeling pretty torn up about not racing this year) I headed back to the marina. The weather had cleared up while we were listening to Kamini's talk and the sun was shining again on my walk back to the hotel. As soon as I got to the marina, however, the skies opened and it started to rain. It didn't just rain - it poured! I started to wonder if I was back in Vancouver! The lightning and thunder were back as well, with a vengeance. We took refuge in the rowing locker but decided to call it a day an hour later when lightning struck the ground less than 500m from where we were standing. I've never HEARD lightning before - and I won't mind if I never hear it again.

I walked back to the hotel, got into dry clothes and had a nap. Then the Mana Wahine girls came to pick me up (thanks, ladies!) and we went to Macayo's, a Mexican restaurant just off of Trendy Mill Avenue on the West side of the ASU campus. We weren't impressed with the restaurant or the service they provided, but we had a blast partying it up together. The rain was still falling and the patio was beginning to flood, but hey - we're from Vancouver and we can handle it!!

Here are a few photos from that evening - the rest are in my online album.


No comments: