My photo
New Westminster, BC, Canada
Me in a nutshell: High school teacher who has recently developed a passion for running. I'm a dragonboat racer and coach. I've lost 50 lbs on Weight Watchers and am working on losing the rest! Slowly but surely ...

Friday, March 23, 2007

Leavin' on a jet plane ...

I woke up bright & early to catch a 7:15 a.m. flight to Phoenix. My Dad picked me up at 4:30 and we headed to the aiport. (Thanks, Dad!) Everything went well checking in at YVR until I got to the final security gate. I'd packed a brand new bottle of sunscreen and a tube of my favourite hair gel - neither of which was in a tube smaller than 100mL. They took them away from me. Oh well, they're both replaceable.

The flight was delayed by 45 minutes, but I had a long layover in Denver so I wasn't the least bit stressed about it. I did some marking while I waited to board. I didn't have an assigned seat on my ticket but I got to sit by the emergency exit, so lots of leg room! It was POURING when we took off, so I was definitely looking forward to the warm weather I'd heard Phoenix was having. The flight was uneventful. I slept a little (though I can never sleep well on an airplane), read a little, and looked out the window a little. The view as we flew over the Rockies was great - I took a nice picture:



We landed in Denver and I walked through the long United Airlines terminal. It's a nice airport - well, the part I saw, at least. I had about 3 hours so I ordered a personal cheese pizza from Pizza Hut for lunch, then sat and finished my marking. What a relief to get it all done early! Denver must get a lot of tornados, since there are "Tornado Shelter" warnings all over the place:



We left Denver right on time, and flew for about an hour and a half into Phoenix. When we landed, we were told that it was about 95 degrees (35 degrees Celcius) - EXCELLENT! Maybe I would get that tan I was hoping for! My bag didn't come out with the rest of them onto the carousel, but I found it eventually. Had to take a shuttle between terminals and then the hotel shuttle came to pick me up. It only took about 10 minutes to drive back to the hotel (Country Inn & Suites), where I checked in and settled into my room.


I was ready for dinner and wanted to take advantage of the heat right away, so I changed into shorts & a tank top then went for a walk. N Scottsdale road is a main route so it wasn't long until I found a 7-11 and a Subway. You can get spinach at American Subways so I got some (and some green peppers) on my roasted chicken sub. I even took a picture so you doubting Thomas's will believe :-)



After dinner, I explored the neighbourhood a bit. I needed to be at both the marina and the gym the next morning so I figured out how to get there. The gym was only about 5 minutes up the street and the marina was about 8 minutes in the other direction. I knew that I had an early morning the next day, so after emailing a few people to let them know I had arrived safely, I went to bed.

No comments: